Thursday, January 26, 2017

Finishing Touches

In the last episode I whined a bit about waiting for various persons to show up at undefined times and dates to complete aspects of the house.  My house hostageship is over for the finishing touches have been completed.


The fence ironwork and gates are installed.  This image taken from across the street dresses up the fact that the yard is largely barren and a recent herbicide application will make it more so.


By a stroke of luck I've found a bathroom mirror that works well with the cabinet.  Now I'm better able to judge when I need a hair cut, a better shave or if I'm aging well.  Speaking of aging, I felt a bit celebratory in applying for my Social Security benefits.  The boost in income may help furnish the items missing in the next image and enable broader exploration of my new surroundings.  My bubble may burst if the hog wild, Pee Party, train wreck actions in the U.S. continues to implement stated goals (i.g. privatize Social Security).  I won't dwell on that and if someone is offended by such a remark I certainly will not apologize!

A new towel rack provides a place to store items and turns the awkward corner sink, next to the electrical outlet, into a more livable arrangement.


I'm highly pleased to have the floor installed!  At last I'm able to unpack my remaining belongings and hang a few pictures on the walls.  It is also a delight to, once again, have an actual garbage can!  In the meantime I'll continue to lust after a second plastic chair for the shop or in the event that I have a visitor.


My shipping crates are being recycled into home furnishings.  This shelving unit serves as my "dresser".  I call it, Early American Crate style furnishings.  Previously my clothes were kept off the floor by resting on suitcases.  I'm sure to produce more examples of these initial furnishings.



3 comments:

  1. Hola Don!

    I so have enjoyed reading each of your updates. And your home in Paradise is looking so nice, new and just the right size! I'm sure you'll be given a few plants from friend's yards to dress up the foundation but don't get too tropical...more landscaping means more work! (As I'm sure you remember from your back yard and Koi pond in 'the States'!) If you REALLY need a box of something shipped, let me know and with your promise of reimbursement, I'll try and get it to you. Here in Florida, we order and ship everything thru Amazon Prime. You may be able to do the same?
    Deb (if this goes thru, more to come!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ocean volleyball looks fun as does your group of ex-pats! When is a sailboat to put in that new slip of yours on the agenda? Maybe you could rent out the slip to a 'babe with a boat' till then? Warn her about the crocodile!

    We plan on being here in Fl. till the first of April then to return next Nov. for the winter. Have been out in the Gulf of Mexico in small boats 3 times, down to Sanibel Is. (south of us here in Sarasota) and also up to St. Augustine "Oldest town in the US" for touristy type visits. We really like our park here as it is very active. I've started a Boomer Bunch club to gather the younger, newer crowd and I plan Happy Hours, dance classes, trips to the dog races. DSC type of get- togethers. Also have started a Drum Circle every full moon at sunset to gather the free spirits among us (and pagans... but don't tell anyone!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. f you ever want to visit us (and aren't worried about being apprehended at customs!!), let us know.

    Keep sending out updates. I like your intelligent and self-deprecating style of writing. Hmmm....how to make a living with your blog? Ask your new friends!! Deb

    ReplyDelete