Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Raw Lot

I identified three lots of interest during my first Corozal visit in 2014.  All three lots were still available two years later.  I've observed the Corozal real estate for some years and the properties do not seem to turn over very fast.  This may serve as a cautionary tale for those assuming quick profits might be realized in Belize real estate deals.  Fortunately for me I was able to purchase the lot at the top of my list.


The lot is over grown from the first time I saw it, but I hired a Belizian to "chop" it for me.  I came back later to find an army of guys clearing the lot in no time at all.  I had to hustle and round up the cash so everyone could get paid right away!

I was suprized and not pleased to learn the neighbor had planted palms and other plants on my lot.  Some palms were an elegant variety, but I did not look forward to the constant task of palm frond disposal.  My lot is 19" higher than the neighbor's lot so a retaining wall is necessary to level the lot.  These plants couldn't be buried and had to go!  I offered the neighbor a chance to salvage the plants, but he was not interested as he is attempting to sell the property.  I did manage to have a few salvaged by a friend who owns a nursery.



The lot's appeal is that it is on a peninsula formed on the east by the bay and to the south, a canal that turns to pass the property's west side.  This provides a measure of security with one dead end road leading in/out.  The lot is close to town with power and water utilities available.  A seawall with boat slip provides further attractions.  Interesting creatures inhabit the neighborhood:

Kudamundi, I'm told it is a neighbor's pet

Iguana, the neighborhood has some about four feet long

The canal is filled with tropical water lilies that were expensive additions to my ornamental ponds in the U.S.  I have heard (grunting), but not seen the crocodiles that also inhabit the canal.



The boat slip measures 7' x 30', but this is not suitable for the beamy boat I have in mind. 


This is the machine that will make short work of enlarging the slip to 30' x 30'.  It will make even shorter work of removing the undesired palms and plants.  


The slip enlargement is nearly completed.  Rubble will fill the space between the block walls before capping blocks are installed.


The palms and other plants are replaced by a retaining wall and fence to be installed the next day.




The excavated materail, marl, is used to level the lot.  Marl is a 
lime rich clay that is hard like concrete when dry and often used for roadways.  The excavator bucket smeared the wet spoils over the entire lot so that it will dry out for several days before final leveling by a bulldozer. Unfortunately, this is the rainy season and it has rained nearly every day, no telling when the leveling will take place.  

Tomorrow I expect to have everything in place for electrical service.  I keep proding the water utility to hook me up, but I lack whatever juice it takes to get any motion.  The best I can do is be sweet to the nice lady who works the water utility desk.  Other than competing the boat slip, I don't expect to see much action until early September.  I'll await house plans and building authority approval in the mean time.  This may imply a time gap in the Squier of Corozal episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment